It is recommended that you have your home water softener system serviced at least once every year. However, there are additional steps you can take to ensure its effective upkeep and maintenance. Simply follow the easy steps below:
Maintaining and Cleaning the Brine Tank
- It is important that you check the salt levels of the brine tank every month. If you’re not sure about what the ideal salt level should be, check your manual. Generally, it is recommended that the tank is kept at least half-full with salt and at least 3 inches above the water level.
- Before re-filling the tank, be sure that you are using the right type of salt. Different home water softener systems use different types of salt including rock salt, evaporated salt and solar salt.
- It is also important to regularly break up the solid layers of salt that will form in the tank. You can do this with a broom handle. Feel free to add some hot water if the salt isn’t breaking away with ease.
- You are likely going to need to clean your tank after approximately 5 years of use. However, having said that, it is only recommended if it is no longer functioning efficiently and the maintenance steps mentioned above do not lead to any positive changes.
- To clean the tank, you will need to empty it, remove the brine grid from its base and scrub well with soapy water. Rinse before cleaning further with bleach. Rinse again and refill. Allow some time after refilling before using again so that the salt has sufficient time to dissolve.