Do you know what is in the water that comes out of your tap? As water treatment specialists, it is our job to know the quality of your water so that we can ensure it is to the highest standard at all times. In this article, we explore what you can potentially find in municipal water systems and what you can do to make sure your water is safe for the health of you and your family. Read on to find out more.
What contaminants can be found in tap water?
While it is rare that these contaminants make their way past testing, there are some scary contaminants that can appear in the water coming from your tap. These include:
- Cryptosporidium which originates from fecal waste. It causes gastrointestinal illnesses which include vomiting, cramps and diarrhea.
- Legionella is found naturally in water. It grows through the use of heating systems. It causes an illness call Legionnaire’s Disease, which is a type of pneumonia.
- Bromate is a by-product from the disinfectant used in water. It causes increased risk of cancer in those exposed to it.
- Chlorite is another by-product from the process of disinfecting water. When testing the water, a maximum level of 0.8 is allowed for the water to pass. It can cause anemia and can affect the nervous systems of infants and young children.
- Barium is a contaminant that is deemed safe in levels below 2, which means you will almost always find at least some barium in your tap water. It comes from the erosion of natural deposits in soil as well as discharge from drilling and metal refineries. Barium has been known to increase blood pressure.
These are just some of the scary things that have the potential to show up in your tap water. If you want to take charge of your health, you should consider installing some sort of water purification system in your home. At Hydro Solutions, we understand the need for pure, healthy drinking water and offer a range of solutions for the home, including RO systems or reverse osmosis, water softeners, well water systems, water filtration and more.
Contact us and let us give you the power to ensure every drop of water out of your tap is perfectly clean and safe for you and the ones you love. Get in touch today.